Distance Education Admissions Requirements
- Distance classes only: If you wish to take only continuing education courses at DMACC, on site at other locations, via the Iowa Communications Network, online, and/or by videotape, you may apply for admission and get registered simply by completing the continuing education e-mail Registration Form.
- Both distance and on-campus classes: If you wish to also take classes on-campus but are not seeking a degree, please select the Nondegree Application on the Apply for Admission website.
English Communication Requirement for Nondegree Students
If English is not one of your primary languages you learned as a child (even if you are a US citizen), you may meet the English communication requirement in one of the following ways:
- Students taking undergraduate courses should submit one of the following to the Office of Admissions: TOEFL score of 71 (iBT), 530 (PBT); IELTS score of 6.0 with no subscore below 5.5; SAT-Verbal score of 420 or ACT-English score of 16.
- Students taking graduate courses on a nondegree basis can submit one of the following: TOEFL score of 79 (iBT), 550 (PBT), or 197 (CBT); IELTS score of 6.5; or a bachelor's or master's degree taught in a country where English is the only official language.
If you are seeking an undergraduate or graduate certificate or degree program by distance, you must be admitted to the program. Please see the following instructions:
- Undergraduate - Please refer to the Admissions Requirements page for more information on how to qualify for admission to Iowa State.
- Graduate - At the graduate level, admission requirements vary by degree program. Please refer to the Academic Programs page for information on how to qualify for admission to the particular program in which you are interested.
English Communication Requirement for Degree-Seeking Students
If English is not one of your primary languages you learned as a child (even if you are a US citizen), you must meet the English communication requirement in one of the following ways:
- Students taking undergraduate courses should meet the same requirement as indicated above.
- Students taking graduate courses on a nondegree basis must meet the minimum English proficiency requirements of the graduate program to which you are applying.
Coming back to ISU
If you have previously enrolled as a student at Iowa State but were not enrolled during the most recent academic term (excluding summer), contact the Office of the Registrar (515) 294-1889 or by e-mail email@example.com to activate your file.